General Iron Works began operation in 1924.
The company manufactured equipment for the mining, sugar, oil gas, and power industries.At peak, it was the largest and best-equipped plant between Chicago and the Pacific coast and occupied 17.5 acres (about 280,000 SF under roof!).
During WWII, General Iron Works was known as the “Shipyard of the Rockies” because of the quantity and size of equipment produced for the war effort. Following the war, the plant successfully converted to civilian production. Output soared to near capacity as orders poured in for long postponed expansions and replacements.
The company’s market dissolved with the decline of Colorado’s sugar beet industry and sharply reduced mining production.
General Iron Work closed its doors permanently on January 31, 1986.